Saturday, October 25, 2008

Thailand Journal – Entry 10 - My Apartment

A less lengthy post this time and nothing too heavy either...

After moving out of my homestay, I started living in a nice apartment closer to school. I have internet access, am right in the trendy part of Chiang Mai and have a 24-7 grocery store and laundromat less than 1 minute away. Though I tried to get a higher floor (and thus, a better view of the nearby mountain, Doi Suthep) everything from the 4th floor up was occupied. I don't mind too much though, I'm paying less and I still get a pretty good view (Be sure to check out the video below - a stop-motion animation I took of the sun setting behind the mountain). Plus, the swimming pool is located on my floor!

The room is well furnished with a large bed, cable television, bathroom, balcony, desk, more cupboard space than I'll ever need, air conditioning and a fridge. With a little bit of decoration, I feel quite at home. I've never lived on my own before (I've had roommates and housemates) and being an independent person who likes their space, I was positively giddy moving in. It's a place to call my own. It's a sanctum. It's my territory...my tiger den. No worries though, I haven't turned into a hermit. I still hang out with other people from the program. One of my favourite regular activities is grabbing a Friday night burger at "Mike's", which is quite possibly the best hamburger I have ever had... of all places, in Thailand.

Photo time!

I took all the photos out of my photo album and stuck them on my wall with a poem and drawing someone did for me for inspiration. Most of the plushies you see were generously donated by WWF-Canada and hopefully the kids I give them to will like them. Tigers rule!


Yep...that's a sink.


A shower complete with electric water heater.


...


One of the many moods of the mountains.


Okay...well, we are back inside now. My bed is pretty much just a sheet and a pillow with a t-shirt for a cover. I was too stingey to actually buy a comforter so I just wrap the whole thing around myself. I don't have to use as much air conditioning so it works and if I somehow get cold I can put on a sweater. Yes, I know...I'm doing it wrong.


This has nothing to do with my apartment. I just think it looks cool. I took this on Chiang Mai University's campus.


This has nothing to do with my apartment either, but there is no denying this is the most persuasive lemonade salesmen you've ever seen. The lemonade was quite good.


I bought this just because of that photo. It's too awesome to resist. Judging by the look he is giving you, he has a passion for lemonade that borders on the psychotic.





...This was quite painstaking to say the least, but the result is a little cool.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your apartment is so cool and the view of the mountains - wow! I love the sunset. It looks like you are very comfortable. It must be so nice to be closer to school. Is that sheet workin for ya? Your pillow case is pretty creative.

Anonymous said...

Your apartment looks great! Must be nice to have a place to call your own . . . but don't you miss that off-key version of Auld Lang Syne every time you open your fridge??
That guy on the lemonade can looks wacky!! (wonder how that marketing would go over in Canada?)