Saturday, September 6, 2008

Thailand Journal – Entry 1: Adventure's Advent

Mood: Optimistic

Where do I begin?

First of all, welcome to my humble blog. If you are reading this, you probably already know who I am. If you don't, I will fill you in: I am a young man who's self-assigned life mission is to not only prevent the tiger from going extinct, but to secure a long term future for the species! I have set up this blog in order to chronicle my new adventure in Thailand both for those who are interested, but also for myself. Be sure to check back often. Perhaps we can all learn something amidst my ramblings.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There a few days are left before I depart on the biggest adventure of my life – to Thailand. I have been anticipating such an opportunity to set foot in a tiger range country ever since I realized I wanted to help save the world (for tigers anyway). I remember all the nights I sat awake, feeling a million miles away in a country where wild tigers never roamed. I felt held captive by inexperience, inadequacy and insufficient funds. Going on an adventure to save tigers didn’t seem like it would happen until much later in life...yet here I am.

The events leading up to my departure to Thailand seem too serendipitous and fateful to be true, something more befitting of an adventure novel. I never figured myself to be one of those “smug” or “rich” students who could study abroad, though that is not to say I didn’t want the opportunity. No, my desire was always hamstrung by the fact that I couldn’t afford it; at least that is what the school pamphlets always told me. Going to university allowed me the freedom to explore new opportunities for learning and as I grew I became more inclined to investigate such opportunities even if my initial feelings were such investigations would prove fruitless wastes of time. After reading a speech WWF-Canada President Emeritus Monte Hummel delivered to York University students in my first year, I was able to firmly appreciate the importance of practical learning experiences. The well respected conservationist announced that he would rather hire a student with actual experience and average marks over the bookworm who gets fantastic marks, but has never laced up a pair of hiking boots. I took those words quite seriously, imagining myself in a future job interview at a conservation organization like World Wildlife Fund. In this first year at university, I solidified a search image for any opportunity that might allow me to get such valuable experience that would be attractive to conservation organizations. After seeing advertisements for a study abroad fair on campus, I decided to take a look. I shuffled with mild interest from display to display, encouraged by opportunity, but with enthusiasm suppressed by doubt. I stopped at the booth for Thailand with an older individual standing alone in front of a giant map of the country. As for who started the conversation, I cannot recall; however, I do remember asking about whether Trent students who had traveled to Thailand had ever found themselves doing work for conservation. The old man chimed in happily that there had been cases where students did field work with World Wildlife Fund. My ears perked – mild interest gave way to a very cautious curiosity. I eventually learned that, due to the low costs of living in Thailand, students could essentially pay the same amount of money as if they were studying in Canada. I then was enlightened that, despite this being an Indigenous Studies program, I could actually earn credits towards my Environmental and Resource Studies degree. My Berlin Wall of apprehension and doubt was being chipped away bit by bit, but hearing such fantastic news was tantamount to trading hammers for bulldozers. I could actually get involved in conservation and study at the same time without having to be a rich. I was able to pursue the program with full-throttle enthusiasm, doubts reduced to dust. I began telling people I was going to Thailand only months into my first year, despite me not actually being accepted into the program until the final weeks of my second year. Everything had I ever wished for was taking form – I felt a strong sense of destiny associated with the program and the opportunities it had to offer. I harboured a quiet ferocity and tenacity that told me this was something I could not be denied and would fight tooth and claw to ensure it became reality. I was going...it was just a matter of time.

A summer of waiting has come to pass; months have turned to weeks and weeks into days. My excitement is growing, fuelled by the feeling that my career as a conservationist is truly beginning and the anticipation of adventure. It would be inappropriate to simply focus on this 8-month journey as a means to help tigers. Though it is well established that my life’s mission is the prime reason I decided to participate, I can appreciate that my stay in a foreign country, immersed in a foreign culture will inevitably offer profound lessons. I expect it to be a humbling experience – often the most important lessons are learned through hardship and by no means will this be a vacation. I am prepared to work hard and face adversity if it arises. I feel I owe it to myself and, ultimately, the species I have dedicated my life to serving. I’ll be a better person by the end.

An often quoted, perhaps cliched Chinese proverb declares, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step". Well, my friends, this is my running start.




3 comments:

friends of Kuba said...

We read with interest the first entry in your Thailand journal and we'll check back often to learn of your progress and adventures. There's no doubt in our minds that, one day, your name will be recognized as one of the leaders in tiger conservation. Keep up the good work!
(from your friends in London)

wash said...

Wow, what a trip. Great pictures too. I especially like the one of the mountains.
You have a great way with words. I look forward to more of your adventure and pictures from Thailand.

Anonymous said...

Hello Eric!
My husband Walter and I are friends of friends of yours who you used to work with. They sent me the link to check out your exciting adventure to Thailand to save the Tiger. (The Tiger is one of the symbols of my Scorpio sign!) I read what you have written thus far and found what you had to say and how you said it, incredibly interesting and admirable. You have an amazing way with words. I love the way you describe your experiences. I eagerly await your future posts!
You have a wonderful passion for this quest to save this wonderful and beautiful animal. It is heart-breaking to see just how man's cruelty has put them on the brink of extinction. It is however very heart-warming to see man devoting his life to helping them! What you are doing is a highly honorable and special vocation. I think it is fantastic that you are fighting for them in this way. I am certain that your exuberance and dedication to this cause will see real change giving hope to this beautiful and noble cat.
My husband and I are animal fanatics and we have rescued a few domestic animals. One of them is one of our three dogs. We also have 3 cats and a horse and love them like our own children. I used to travel a lot and have had many exciting adventures as a professional cellist, but now we stay at home with our animal family.
Hopefully one day we will meet you and hear first hand, some of your experiences. We live here in London Ontario and so do your friends who were just over for a visit today. We were talking about the wonderful journey you have embarked upon.
Follow your heart and your passion and you will realize your dream.
All the very best to you!
Christine Newland