Thursday, March 26, 2009

India Journal: Entry 13 - Indian Inukshuk



Sorry, but there is no big story associated with this photo.

It was my last day at Corbett tiger park in India and I decided to take a river stroll. I noticed there were plenty of smooth rocks of a wide range of sizes, which gave me an idea.

The Canadian Inuit, who reside in the far north have historically used stone structures called "inukshuks' as landmarks. Inukshukgallery.com states:

The Inuit make inuksuit in different forms for a variety of purposes: as navigation or directional aids, to mark a place of respect or memorial for a beloved person, or to indicate migration routes or places where fish can be found. Other similar stone structures were objects of veneration, signifying places of power or the abode of spirits. Although most inuksuit appear singly, sometimes they are arranged in sequences spanning great distances or are grouped to mark a specific place....

The traditional meaning of the inukshuk is "Someone was here" or "You are on the right path."


The inukshuk has since been adopted as part of a symbol of Canada and in particular, the multiculturalism that we are proud of. I decided to make my own landmark as a statement of my Canadian presence so I constructed a stone avatar by the riverbank and baptized it with the cool river's water, which originated somewhere in the distant Himalayas.

I beamed at my Indian inukshuk and eventually departed, leaving my stony doppelganger to watch over the land of tigers.

No comments: